A question set is a group of 1:1 questions created by a manager for their team. A set is especially helpful if you have multiple 1:1s and want to ask the same questions across your team.
Sets make creating and updating 1:1s faster and easier - no need to write the same questions over and over for each team member. And when a set is edited, any 1:1s using that set will all be updated at once.
Sets are manager-specific, not shared across an organization.
If you have a team of 4 direct reports and you want to ask all 4 people the same 1:1 questions:
- Once you create a 1:1 for the first team member (start with a template, or build a 1:1 from scratch), you can save the questions you set up as a custom question set, and then you can select that set at the beginning of the setup process when you create a 1:1 for each of the other 3 team members.
- Or, you can create a set from scratch on the first step of the setup process. Once created, then you can select it when setting up each of your 1:1s.
If you have different departments reporting to you and want to ask roll-specific 1:1 questions:
- Perhaps you have both sales and marketing team members reporting to you. You could create one question set geared towards sales roles and one question set geared towards marketing roles, and use the appropriate question set for each team member when setting up their 1:1.
How to create and use question sets
If you are setting up a new 1:1, sets are visible on the first step of the setup process, where you have the option to choose a template, question set, or to start from scratch:
If you want to create a question set for your team, we recommend starting by setting up your first 1:1, and then at the end of the process Uptick asks if you want to save your 1:1 questions as a set (that you can then use for other team members).
- Start by selecting a template, and then moving to the next step of the setup process where you can customize the questions (add, remove, edit, etc.) to get them how you want them.
- At the end of the setup when you click "Create 1:1", you'll be asked if you want to save the questions you customized.
- If you choose to save your questions, you'll give your set a name (like "My Team's Questions"). Then, when you go to set up another 1:1, your custom set will be an option you can select at the beginning of the 1:1 setup process (under the Question Sets heading).
Uptick Starter Questions is there as a default option.
- If you'd like to make edits to that set, you can save the changes as your own set.
- Click the 3-dot menu, and choose "Edit set". A window will appear, allowing you to make changes. You'll be prompted to rename the set, once you click save.
If you'd like to build a set from scratch, click "Create set".
- You'll start by giving your set a name, and then choosing any questions you'd like to include.
- The Uptick questions on Goal tracking, Priority tracking, and Values & Virtues appear as options to add, or you can create your own custom questions or add in Decks.
- Choose a frequency for each of the questions, select a category for any custom questions, and drag & drop the questions to reorder them.
Once you click "Create set", the set will show up as an option to use when creating or editing a 1:1. There is no limit to how many sets you create.
If you have existing 1:1s, sets can be accessed by going in to "Edit" any one of your 1:1s (via the My 1:1s page).
Have a question about sets? Or want help setting up a 1:1? Send us a chat message! We'd love to help out 🙂