A set is a grouping of 1:1 questions created by a manager for their team.
Sets make creating and updating 1:1s faster and easier. No need to write the same questions over and over again for each 1:1. Once you have a set created, it will show up as an option to use for each of your 1:1s. If a set is updated, any 1:1s using that set are updated at the same time.
Any number of sets can be created, but a 1:1 can only use one set at a time. Sets are manager-specific, not shared across an organization.
What do sets look like and where to find them
Sets "live" in the 1:1 setup process. If you are setting up a new 1:1, sets appear as a natural step in the setup process. If you have existing 1:1s already, sets can be accessed by going in to "Edit" any one of your 1:1s (via the My 1:1s page) - it doesn't matter which team member is selected.
Creating, deleting, or editing a set doesn't impact the 1:1 you have opened for editing, unless a set is actively in use (noted by the "Used _ times" text shown at the bottom of the set).
There is no limit to how many sets you create. They will all appear as options to choose from in the "Choose set" step of the 1:1 setup process.
Each set has a name and a creator, and shows what categories of questions are in the set, which team members (if any) are using the set, and how many total questions are in the set.
To preview the questions in a set, click the eye icon or the 3-dot menu at the top right.
To edit or delete a set, click the 3-dot menu at the top right. The Uptick Starter Questions set is a default set that does not have a deletion option.
Use the Uptick Starter Questions set to get up and running quickly, or use it as a template to create your own set
Uptick Starter Questions is a default set, and is automatically selected in the setup of a new 1:1.
- Click the eye icon to preview the set.
- If you'd like to use the set as-is, click "Next" to continue on to the "Edit questions" step, where you can reorder the questions and add in required data such as objectives for the team member.
- If you would like to make edits to Uptick's set, click the 3-dot menu at the top right and choose "Edit". This will not edit Uptick's set directly, but will create a copy of the set with your changes that you can name as your own.
Create your own custom set
If you don't want to use Uptick's Starter Questions or if you'd like to just build a set from the ground up, click "Create set".
You'll start by giving your set a name, and then choosing any questions you'd like to include in the set. The Uptick smart questions Objective tracking, Priority tracking, and Values & Virtues appear as options to add, or you can create your own custom questions.
- Choose a category for each of the questions. The Uptick smart questions (Objectives, Priorities, & Virtues) will have their categories selected by default.
- Choose a frequency for each of the questions. (If a set is used in a 1:1, the question frequency cannot be changed individually. Only within the set.)
- To reorder a question in the set, click and drag the question into position.
Once you click "Create set", the set will automatically be selected for use in the 1:1 you have open. If you would like to not use it immediately, deselect it. The set will show up as an option to use when creating or editing a 1:1 with any additional team members on your team.
Using sets with an existing 1:1
To use a set, click to select it (noted by the blue check mark), and the questions included in the selected set will be added to the 1:1 you are editing. You can use the Uptick Starter Questions set, or create your own question set (see sections above).
Only one version of the Uptick smart questions Objectives, Priorities, and Virtues can be used in a 1:1.
- If 1 or more of these smart questions are already in use in the 1:1, and you select a set that contains the same smart question(s), you will be notified of the duplicate question conflict(s) and asked to choose which version of the question you would like to use. The question that is linked to the set is noted by the yellow "link" icon.
Click "Next" to move on to the "Edit questions" step, where you can review all the questions. You can make any additional edits and reorder the questions here. Once your edits are complete, click "Update 1:1" to publish the changes.
Sets aren't mandatory 🙂
If you're setting up a new 1:1 and don't want to use a set, just deselect the Uptick Starter Questions set. The option to "Start from scratch" appears in the upper right. This brings you to the next step, "Edit questions" where you can create questions individually.
If you have an existing 1:1 that is not using a set, you will see a yellow info message on the "Choose set" step. You can choose to bypass this step and click "Next", where you will see your existing questions and can edit them as desired.
Once you click "Create 1:1" or "Update 1:1", Uptick will ask you if you'd like to create a set out of the questions have set up. Clicking "Create set from this 1:1" will convert the questions into a set that the team member will use, and that set will show up as an option for you to use for all other team members.
Removal of a set from a 1:1
If a set is already in use in a 1:1 and then it is deselected, and if the only questions in that 1:1 were from that set, you will need to add at least one question to the 1:1 via the "Edit questions" step to save your changes. If the 1:1 had other individual questions in addition to questions from the set, those individual questions will remain and not be affected by the removal of the set.
Have a question about sets? Or want help getting them set up for your team? Send us a chat message! We'd love to help out 🙂